QUIRKY FACTS

Did You Know?

  • Nowra is the largest coastal urban centre between Wollongong and the Victorian border

     

  • Kinghorne Street was once part of the Princes Highway. The Princes Highway once included Bridge Road, North Street and Kinghorne Street

     

  • The Postman’s Tavern was the Nowra Post Office. It was built in 1883

     

  • During World War II Sally Ashcroft, who ran Nowra’s only newsagency delivered newspapers on horseback. In the 1950’s her son Ted delivered newspapers using a motorcycle and sidecar. The newsagency was in Junction Street.

     

  • The “Prince of Wales” Hotel once stood where Best and Less is now

     

  • A hotel has stood on the site of the Australian Hotel since the 1860s.

     

  • Across the road was the Albion Hotel which opened in 1880. In 1926 it was renamed the Hotel Nowra. In 1926 it was demolished to build the Commonwealth Bank

     

  • The Presbyterian Church, opposite Aldi, was the first major church built in Nowra. It was opened in 1875.

     

  • The shops opposite the current Taxi rank in Junction Street are relatively new. Even up until the 1950’s this was a large paddock area with only a Blacksmith shop and a dry cleaners.

     

  • You could buy explosives in Berry Street. The building where Spotlight is, in Berry Street, was Woodhills “The Universal Providers”. Woodhills sold a large range of items, including explosives for the gold mines at Yalwal.

     

  • The School of Arts once housed the town library in one of the front rooms. The library was run by the caretaker of the Arts Centre. No librarians!

     

  • The triangular traffic island in front of the Bridge Tavern is the William Batt Memorial Garden. The garden is also known as “Batt’s Folly”. It is named after the Nowra Town Clerk William Charles Batt who was appointed in 1932.

     

  • Batt’s Folly was originally designed as a memorial to the First World War

     

  • Dr Rodway lived on the corner of Bridge Road and North Street. During World War II the doctor bred pigeons. There was a story that he supplied these to the armed forces as carrier pigeons.

     

  • Graham Street, leading down to the Council Chambers was once only a dirt road about 75 metres long ending in a swamp.

     

  • There was a very large shed on the Egan’s Lane Park. This shed was a roller skating rink

     

  • The office of the South Coast Register, Kinghorne Street, was once an Ambulance Station

     

  • Marriott Park was a once a swamp. The current park was designed by artist and local jeweller Leonard Long in 1945. The creation of the park was carried out by a scheme involving local unemployed people.

     

  • Rauch Park, in Junction Street west of the Uniting Church, was created in 1956. It is named after a local newspaper man Henry Rauch. There is a Boer War memorial in the park. It is made from Italian marble. It was unveiled in 1902 and was in front of the School of Arts. In 1962 it was moved to Rauch Park.